Hi, I’m Mel!
I am an IAABC accredited dog trainer, a certified Family Dog Mediator, a Family Paws Educator and a Fear Free Certified Professional. I am also a busy mum of three gorgeous human babies; Harper, Paxton and Brooklyn plus my beautiful golden retrievers, Cooper and Scout.
As a dog guardian and busy mum myself, I absolutely understand the chaos and the juggle that comes with running a busy house. I have been a passionate dog lover my whole life. And I have always loved babies and wanted to be a mum ever since I was a little girl. So with the combination of my psychology background, my love for dogs and kids and my obsession with learning about the science of behaviour, I am driven to helping educate families and dog guardians. Specifically about the importance of using positive, ethical, kind and force-free methods to help build a better and safer relationship between you, your family and your dog.
The two main areas I specialise in and am incredibly passionate about are; raising a new puppy and education around kids and dogs.
Whilst I can certainly help you teach your dog to sit or stay, my greater goal is to show you how to see the dog in front of you, understand that they have feelings and emotions too. Learn how to communicate with your dog and learn how to listen to them, and help to guide them through life in our human world. Learn how to enrich your dogs life and understand how to meet their specific needs. And ultimately educate you on how to give your dog the happiest life possible. Communicating in a positive way and learning to listen to your dog allows you to build a stronger relationship based on mutual respect and trust. This is particularly important in homes with children and dogs.
Using my positive methods, you can teach an old dog new tricks and raise a new puppy to be a happy confident family member.
I look forward to meeting you and making sure the relationship between you and your dog is a positive, safe and happy one!
- Bachelor degree in Science with a major in Psychology and a minor in Zoology.
- Bachelor degree in Commerce.
- Fear Free Certified® Professional. Completed Fear Free Animal Trainer Certification Program (2022).
- Certified Family Dog Mediator (FDM). Completed the L.E.G.S.® Applied Ethology Family Dog Mediation® Professional Course with Kim Brophey.
- IAABC Accredited Dog Trainer (2020).
- Family Paws Parent Education licensed Educator (2020).
- The School of Canine Science – The Puppy Lab (2020).
- Cooperative Care: Husbandry at Home with Laura Monaco Torelli at Karen Pryor Academy (2023)
- Living and learning with Animals – The Science and technology of behaviour change. With Dr Susan Friedman (2019).
- Current and up to date Working With Children’s Check.
- Dog Psychology and training BAG221 (2015).
- Accredited Professional Dog Obedience Trainer Course. Conduct Companion Animal Training Classes RUV 4512A with the Australian Dog Training Academy (2010).
- International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants (IAABC).
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT).
- Pet Professional Guild Australia (PPGA).