Hi, I’m Mel!
I am an accredited dog trainer and a busy mum of three gorgeous human babies; Harper, Paxton and Brooklyn plus my beautiful golden retriever, Cooper.
As a dog owner and busy mum myself, I absolutely understand the chaos and the juggle that comes with running a busy house. I have been a passionate dog lover my whole life. So with the combination of my psychology background, my love for dogs and my obsession with learning about the science of behaviour, I am driven to helping educate families and dog owners about the importance of using positive reinforcement training to help build a better and safer relationship between you, your family and your dog.
To me, educating the family is just as important as training dogs, and I love to share my science-based knowledge. The last thing I want is for a child to get hurt or a dog to feel scared which is why I have specialised in this space and became a registered Family Paws® Parent Educator. Family Paws® Parent Education (FPPE) is the parent organization of two International licensed programs: Dogs & Storks® and Dogs & Toddlers™. FPPE provides specialized programs for new and expecting families with dogs. We offer a wide range of support to families, dog professionals and childbirth professionals to support success between babies, toddlers and family dogs.
I find the similarities between kids and dogs so fascinating and I find using positive reinforcement to be so empowering so my aim is to make you and your family feel empowered by it too. Rather than punishing a dog for doing the wrong behaviour, let’s redirect them and teach them what we want them to be doing instead.
While I can certainly help you teach your dog to sit or stay, my greater goal is to show you how to communicate with your dog. Communicating in a positive way allows you to teach your dog anything and build a stronger relationship based on mutual respect and trust. This is particularly important in homes with children and dogs.
Using my positive methods, you can teach an old dog new tricks and raise a new puppy to be a happy confident companion. I look forward to meeting you and making sure the relationship between you and your dog is a positive one!
- Bachelor degree in Science with a major in Psychology and a minor in Zoology.
- Bachelor degree in Commerce.
- IAABC Accredited Dog Trainer (2020).
- Family Paws Parent Education licensed Educator (2020).
- The School of Canine Science – The Puppy Lab (2020).
- Living and learning with Animals – The Science and technology of behaviour change. With Dr Susan Friedman (2019).
- Dog Psychology and training BAG221 (2015).
- Accredited Professional Dog Obedience Trainer Course. Conduct Companion Animal Training Classes RUV 4512A with the Australian Dog Training Academy (2010).
- International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants (IAABC).
- Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT).
- Pet Professional Guild Australia (PPGA).